Aram Orbelyan, Ph.D.
He represents clients in complex cases before local courts both on civil and criminal cases and acts as a legal counsel in Investment and Commercial Arbitration cases. Aram Orbelyan is also engaged in structuring and leading complex cross-border M&A projects, including comprehensive due diligence, participation in negotiations, and drafting underlying contracts.
Chambers and Partners have ranked him as an Outstanding Practitioner, which “comes highly recommended by clients, who stress his “deep knowledge in legal concepts and practice. “Market sources additionally highlight his “good strategic skills.” Aram Orbelyan has also been highly appreciated by Legal 500. Further information can be found here:
Ongoing or recent noteworthy cases include:
- Represents the Republic of Armenia in an ICSID arbitration case,
- Represents the Republic of Armenia in an ICC arbitration case,
- Represents the second President of the Republic of Armenia in a criminal case against him on alleged overthrow of constitutional order, which include constitutional and international human rights law issues,
- Represented several mining companies in Royalty payment claims for mining activities against tax service amounting to several billion AMD each,
- Represented a client organization in a landmark lawsuit concerning purported discriminatory dismissal dispute by thirteen former employees of the client,
- Was engaged and lead the local lawyers team in at least 7 major M&A or asset sale transactions in mining, renewable energy and telecommunications sectors in 2015-2020.
In 2011 he was appointed as the Deputy Minister of Justice of the Republic of Armenia (he was responsible for reforms performed in the spheres of State Register Agency of Legal Entities, Civil Status Acts Registry Office, Notary system, advocacy, civil procedural and civil legislation). Three years later, he rejoined Concern Dialog’s team as a Senior Partner.
From 2006 to 2007 Aram Orbelyan worked at the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) regional delegation in Moscow as an Assistant to Senior Legal Adviser, and later as a Legal Adviser.
In parallel to his main activity, Aram Orbelyan lectures at the School of Advocates of RA, at the French University in Armenia, and at the Justice Academy of RA.